Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Today's gratitude post is for music. I love music. I'm so grateful that my loving Heavenly Father gave me something so beautiful, inspiring, and joyful. Music can always make me feel better, whether it's someone else playing or me.

When I was 8 years old I began to take piano lessons. We didn't have a piano at the time, but my mom did have a key to the church, so she would take my brothers and I down to the church almost every day so I could practice in the Primary room. I'm not sure how long that went on, but eventually we got a piano in our house.

For 5 years I HATED lessons. Because once we had the piano at home I hardly ever practiced. So lessons meant a 1/2 hour lecture on how I needed to practice more. Every week my mom would drive me to piano lessons and I would wish we could get in a car wreck on the way there so I wouldn't have to go (nothing major, just enough for us to have to cancel lessons for the week!) I begged and begged and begged to quit but my mom wouldn't let me. Twenty years later I'm eternally grateful she didn't.

Now I love to play the piano. I've leaned a little violin and organ since then too. I even teach my own kids piano lessons. We had a rocky start, but all of us have gotten the hang of it. Now with a few more students it's a great source of a little extra income. (Thanks, Mom!)

Music inspires me to be better. Music brings joy to my heart and to my home. Good music always makes me happy. And I think that's the point of everything beautiful in the world, to bring us joy and happiness--which is what music does for me.

No comments: